March 16, 2014

Restored Rockwell Unisaw

The completed restoration of my 1977 Rockwell International 34-461 Unisaw

Over the course of two months I completely disassembled, cleaned, primed, painted, and replaced the bearings of a 1977 Rockwell Unisaw bringing it back to a like new condition.

Below you can see the restored Unisaw in all of it’s glory ready for another 30 years of service. Before pictures can be seen here.

Refurbished 1977 Rockwell International Unisaw
Rockwell Unisaw - Front, top, and side

3 Horsepower, 230 volt, single phase motor with brand new bearings.
Rockwell Unisaw - Front, top, and side

Right-tilt configuration
Rockwell Unisaw - motor

Low voltage motor starter and control recessed into the rear of the cabinet.
Rockwell Unisaw - side and back

LED lights and white painted interior for increased visibility.
Rockwell Unisaw - Trunnion and motor

~Nathan

6 Responses to “Restored Rockwell Unisaw”

1. Dan Roscigno says:

Hi Nathan,
    Nice job. Did you mount LEDs inside the cabinet? My saw (picking it up today) is a 1984 Rockwell 34-802, looks the same as yours.

2. Nathan says:

Yes I mounted a strip of white leds to provide light when changing the blade. The leds run on a 9 volt battery that is plugged via a grommet hole on the front. Since there would eventually be a motor cover I wanted to ensure I still have visibility down in there.

Congratulations on getting a fine piece of American Iron machinery. As you probably know the Unisaws are amazing table saws.

3. steve says:

need some quick advice. have a unisaw and rebuilding it. missing the bolt that goes in the motor mount. do you know the name for it or where to find one? have the pin that using the lock washer/ring. thanks

4. Nathan says:

Steve, Ebay is a great source of parts. Search around on there and email a few sellers. I would be surprised if you could not find a replacement bolt.

5. Joel says:

Nathan-
    Great job! Can you tell me a little more about the materials you used in your cleaning/priming/painting process?

6. Nathan says:

Joel,

For cleaning: Acetone, steal wool, and fine sand paper.
    Priming: Rustoleum enamel sprayed via hvlp gun connected to an air compressor.
    Painting: Rattle cans of spray paint.

Check out http://nathanhein.com/2014/01/rockwell-unisaw-restoration/ and http://nathanhein.com/2014/02/rockwell-unisaw-restoration-update/ for more information about the refinishing process.